Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Old Girl, New Gig Part 2

When the school year finished my friend asked me to considering changing up her children's bathroom. You can read about that in my previous blog post.

Before

Before- the pink corian counter top makes the tile look pink, too. 
An incredibly undervalued luxury in any home improvement project is when you have the place to yourself. My friend and her family took some much needed time away at the beach leaving the house to me to come and go at will. She even told me to use the in-ground pool anytime I wanted! I was able to schedule deliveries during that week.

My friend had originally come to me with a picture found on Hometalk that they were thinking would work for their situation. I agreed that it was a nice idea, using the large builder grade mirror on the wall. Here is the inspiration:


My friend's husband removed the old counter top

A fresh coat of paint on the walls.
 and built the cabinet according to my drawings.



He miter cut the trim but left them long so that once the piece was installed I could adjust the lengths to make it fit right. That was a huge help. We could have built it but it would have taken me (Mister) longer. 

Monday: The granite counter top, made of stone called Ice White, was to be delivered between 4-6PM.


Ooh!


That gave me all day to clean and get another coat of paint on the walls. My girls came to help me clean a bit and went for a swim. The granite people called saying the could come early and we were done with day one by 4PM. The back splash would be installed Friday due to an existing mirror and needing an accurate measurement, not the standard 3 or 4 inch high back splash.

Tuesday: The plumbing was hooked up, courtesy of Mister. It took some more work than I had planned for as the sinks sit lower than the original sinks and the sink drains sat further away than from the plumbing than the old ones. That meant that Mister had to cut out the old drain and trap and replace them to make everything fit. Ugh! In addition to getting the plumbing up and working we also got the new 3-light sconces hooked up.

Wednesday: Painting day, again. I pulled out my Home Right sprayer; the first time using this beauty! I won it from a give away by Larissa at Prodigal Pieces last summer. It has taken this long to get around to using it! My dad had given me the spray tent for my birthday! I painted all the trim and the cabinet. It was fabulous! Everything took about 3 coats. I did not want to rush it and I didn't want any drips.



The window in the bathroom is a tall one but we wanted to keep the light and not have fabric to have to clean so I built a cornice. I used a 6 foot length of 1x10x6. I cut 45degree angles to miter the corners. I them cut trim that would match the cabinet, using baseboard molding on the bottom and crown molding on the top. I watch several videos on the crown molding because my head is thick and it confuses me. I was ready to do this but Mister stepped in again and saved my bacon! I did end up having to go back and get another piece because on cut obviously was not resting against the fence right at one point and did not sit right.

Partially built cornice in the middle with all the painted trim laid out for cutting.

Notice the notch at the bottom to accommodate the backsplash
Thursday: I finished up painting what I could before installation day and I let the painting and my work rest while I enjoyed lunch with a dear friend.

Stay tuned, there is more to come! I can't wait to show you the finished product!
See the completed project here!

Linked up to The Chelsea Project

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that is looking so beautiful! I can't wait to see the end result!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete